Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gulu, Ama, and Dina...Hamar Pioneers



This picture of Dina, Gulu, and I is one of my favorites. These two women faced severe opposition from their husbands in order to learn Amharic and perform simple calculations. In fact, Gulu's husband, Dobe, threatened to kill her several times. I am in awe of the courage and determination of Dina, Gulu, and Ama (widow, mother, and supporter of 8 children) to learn and change the life of Hamar women.

Gulu Bola proudly introduced herself as the chairwomen of the Minogelti women’s cooperative when I first rolled in under the big tree in April 2008. I had been interviewing elders, women, men, government workers, farmers, teachers, etc. for 40 days and eating spaghetti every night! Needless to say, I was exhausted, and quite frankly, discouraged. I really had no idea how I was ever going to craft programs that would make a sustainable difference. Then I met Gulu, Dina and Ama. They are the three women who “opened the door of possibilities for Hamar.”

Because of their pioneering spirit, the Minogelti Women’s Cooperative now operates the 1st ever rural trading center in southwest Ethiopia.

No comments: