Friday, August 19, 2011

Happy For Clean Water, Though Still Little Food


The elders of Wonga Bayno started gathering early on Sunday morning, eager for our arrival. I had been gone for 5 months, the longest time away since we started working here. Twenty elders greeted me profusely, so happy that I returned to Wonga Bayno.

Today, they assembled once more but this time, it was to tell me their concerns and dire need.

They are desperate. The land is dry, the crops are dead, and there is no food. They told me this story. “In Hamar culture, when there is no food, the old mother is sent out to ask neighbors to share food. Sometimes, the mother is gone for a long time but she always comes back with food.” They consider me their mother – why did I not bring them food? Can’t I see that they are starving?

Tears of sadness and helplessness ran down my face. I had tried to mobilize food distribution prior to leaving for the states in March. Nothing happened. All food distribution is controlled by the government – fraught with constraints and complicated procedures.

Shari Askar, an influential elder who is a major supporter of GTLI programs eloquently explained the situation. “I attended all GTLI training. My family now knows how to prevent disease. We were ignorant before. Our environment was polluted, we drank polluted water. Now, we drink clean water. I am happy to have clean water. But, we only have water. We have no food. We thought our mother (Lori) might have brought something for us. Even our women were looking forward to Lori coming back. But, there still is no food. Hamar life is so miserable. We depend on nature. If there is no rain, we have nothing.”

This is how we responded to this tough, tough dilemma:

1. We met with the local government officials to make sure Wonga Bayno is on the list for the next World Food Program distribution. They are.

2. We slaughtered a cow which they roasted and ate, celebrating their successful participation in our hygiene and sanitation training programs. It was a win-win situation. They had food for a night, success was celebrated, and the community earned money by selling the cow.

3. Beading mania took over the community center for 6 days. 35 young women made 500 bracelets and 30 necklaces in 6 days. Immediate hunger will be eased by the purchase of thirty bags of sorghum. (Four months ago, 120 bags vs. 30 bags would have been possible. As the famine increases, the price quadruples!)

The community desperately wants to earn money to buy food. They hate being dependant on food aid.

No comments: