Monday, July 18, 2011

Straddling the developed world (USA) and the developing world (Ethiopia) is fascinating. Each has its unique advantages and challenges. In the USA, I can access anything and everything on demand. And, such choice! Fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, whatever I want. Unfortunately, with so much emphasis on activities and acquiring things, time spent really listening to each other appears limited. Zoom, bam, boom. The more, the better and quickly, please.

There are limited options here in Ethiopia. The electricity goes out-light some candles; internet doesn’t work-try again tomorrow; there is no garlic-buy more onions. But, pass someone on the street, make eye contact and say “salaam.” See a friend; greet them with three kisses to alternating cheeks. In a friend’s neighborhood, stop by for a cup of tea. Relationship is everything, possessions are yours to share.

I took the local taxi (very old blue VW mini-van that belches exhaust as it struggles up the hills of Addis) to a new 5 star hotel to exchange dollars to birr in order to recharge my internet wireless card today. The cost for a 2 mile ride . . . about 7¢. Unfortunately, the phone system isn’t working right now so recharging isn’t available. I call the recharge number every 30 minutes or so. Maybe tomorrow it will work.

I stopped at a vegetable stand and purchased carrots, onions, jalapeño peppers, limes and mangos for 29 ETB ($1.71). I’ll sauté the vegetables and add them to dry chicken noodle soup I brought from the US which will feed me for several days. Fortunately, I’ve learned to eat for nutrition vs. variety of textures and taste! I have some nuts that I’ll add to the mango and limes for breakfast. My beverage of choice is spiced tea water infused with a well used tea bag. Not fancy, but safe to drink.

Life is good. I love my Northfield home in the US where I’m close to family, friends and internet always works. And, I love being in Africa, slowly doing my life’s work. I am blessed to be in excellent health and privileged to enjoy such a variety of experiences.

No comments: